Ask The Experts: Attractive Valuations For Global Small & Mid Cap Companies
David A. Nadal, Director of International Research and Portfolio Manager at Royce & Associates (a subsidiary of Legg Mason Global Asset Management) shares his outlook for the global small to mid cap sector and why he believes these companies make a good investment right now.
What is the outlook for the global small to mid cap universe over the next two to three years?
- Outlook is quite positive
- Non-US small to mid cap stocks have undergone a period of extended underperformance pushing valuations to very low levels with high dividend yields
- Decent possibility that bond bubble will burst over the next two to three years, giving rise to a reallocation of assets towards equities
- Small to mid cap companies are well positioned in this fast changing economy as they are more agile and innovative compared to their large cap counterparts
Which countries or regions do you see the most opportunities at the moment?
- Stronger markets at the moment include Germany, Japan and South Africa
- Being value investors, they expect to see more opportunities in places that are very out of favour currently, such as Italy, Spain and Greece in the future
Are there any sectors or themes that you are particularly bullish on?
- Quite bullish on the natural resources sector as monetary easing is creating a very positive pricing dynamic for things that are in finite or declining supply such as gold, silver and oil
- The Legg Mason Royce Global Smaller Companies Fund is exposed to gold and silver mining companies, oil services companies and think the pricing environment for such commodities will be supported by monetary regimes over the next two to three years
On the other hand, are there any investment ideas you are not so keen to pursue?
- Quite wary of sectors that are heavily levered as leverage during tough times tend to constrain growth, leading to decreases in market share
- Hence sectors like banking, telecommunication, media, REITs, and utilities that are more levered and have low return on invested capital are not favoured in the fund
All materials and contents found in this Site are strictly for information purposes only and should not be considered as an offer, or solicitation, to deal in any of the funds or products found in this Site. While iFAST Financial Pte Ltd ("IFPL") has tried to provide accurate and timely information, there may be inadvertent delays, omissions, technical or factual inaccuracies and typographical errors. Any opinion or estimate contained in this Site is made on a general basis and neither IFPL nor any of its servants or agents have given any consideration to nor have they or any of them made any investigation of the investment objective, financial situation or particular need of any user or reader, any specific person or group of persons. You should consider carefully if the products you are going to purchase into are suitable for your investment objective, investment experience, risk tolerance and other personal circumstances. If you are uncertain about the suitability of the investment product, please seek advice from a financial adviser, before making a decision to purchase the investment product. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. The value of the unit trusts and the income from them may fall as well as rise. Opinions expressed herein are subject to change without notice. Please read our
in the website.
||03 September 2012
||Ask The Experts: Attractive Valuations For Global Small & Mid Cap Companies